A brave member of FDNY for more than 20 years, Paul Greco was one of the first responders on 9/11. But as many who where there in the first line duty, Paul got sick of 9/11-related illnesses.
The brave firefighter got sick after digging for remains at ground zero while breathing poisonous air, CBS News reports. “Right eye, nothing. I just see the light,” Greco told the source.
After a long waiting, on Monday he went to Weill Cornell Medical Center for his eye surgery. Unfortunately, on that night a fire started at his home in Long Island. As all of his problems weren’t enough, Paul and his family just moved there few months ago. At that time, Paul’s 21-year-old son was the only one in the house. Luckily he managed to escape unharmed.
“He’s devastated as the whole family is. He was by himself in the house and his father just went into the hospital that morning, so I’m sure his mind was on that,” family relative Jennifer Lembo told CBS New York.
“Even after the fire was out the guys went home, changed and came back to try to help clean up the house and get as much water and any kind of items that could have been salvaged for us out of the house,” Paul’s wife, Mary Jane Greco said.
Even they moved in, recently they looked as an “amazing family,” in the neighbors’ eyes. “It’s heartbreaking. It really is. You hope for the best for them,” Patricia Morgan, one of the Grecos neighbors said. They all tried to offer they support to the family.
“It has been absolutely incredible, the outpouring of text messages and phone calls and everything we’ve received. I hadn’t even met any of my neighbors yet,” Paul’s wife said.