Chateau d’Aubiry was built between 1893 and 1904 by Pierre Bardou-Job in the Pyrenees Orientals, near the town of Perpignan and the Spanish Border. Pierre Bardou-Job was an industrial Frenchman who became wealthy by selling rolling paper. He decided to have a château built for each of his three children. Château d’Aubiry was meant his son Justin and was entirely designed by the Danish architect Viggo Dorph-Petersen.
Since 2006 the Château d’Aubiry has been protected as an official French historical monument. This French castle is very close to the city limits of Saint-Jean-Pla-de-Corts. The sandy beaches of the Cote Vermeille are at only half an hour drive distance whereas Barcelona is no farther than 150 km away.
The castle offers superb panoramic views facing south and is actually the showpiece of the village of Ceret. The living area measuring about 26,910 square feet is surrounded by beautifully English landscaped gardens, with water features, and a swimming pool. There is also a huge conservatory, a chapel, a lodge house and a park of around 12.35 acres.
Besides the entrance hall, on the ground floor the visitor will come across a billiard room, a music room, a library, and a quite spacious dining room. All the bedrooms (some of which are themed) are located on the first and second floors. There is, for example, a Chinese room decorated in honour of Bao Dai, the last emperor of Indo China.