A police dog passed away after she was left inside the car during a training session. It happened in Worcester, UK on July 5. Ivy, a five-year-old Belgian Malinois and another dog had been left in the police car. And because it was a really hot day, the officers left the engine running for the air-conditioning to work. However, when they came back, after nearly three hours, the dog was found unresponsive, the Birmingham Mail reported.
The officers soon realized is something serious so they performed CPR, but unsuccessful. Then, they took Ivy to the closest vet. Here, despite the doctors efforts to bring her back, it was too late. According to the West Mercia Police Department, the cause of the death was Disseminated Intravascular Coagulation, produced by heatstroke.
“PD Ivy’s death was a shock to us all, in particular for those who were with her that day, all of whom remain deeply affected by it,” Assistant Chief Constable Geoff Wessell from West Mercia Police said in a statement. “While our police dogs are working dogs and not pets, our handlers have a deep, trusting and loving bond with their dogs and I know how upset they would all have been as a result finding Ivy in this state. I know they acted swiftly to try and save her life.”
According to the police department, many changes will be made so situations like this to be avoided in the future.
“As a result of PD Ivy’s death which has highlighted the dangers that hot weather poses on dogs, we recognise that some of our policies and procedures require amending to prevent these circumstances from reoccurring,” Assistant Chief Wessell said.
First of all, every police car will be loaded with high technology equipments to measure the temperature and humidity. More than that, a designated dog welfare officer has now been appointed to conduct regular checks on police dogs at all training events, the Birmingham Mail also reported.
During the hot summer days, the temperature inside of a car could reach 54 degrees Celsius in less than an hour, and that is fatal for any dog.